During your driving test the examiner will ask you two questions. These are known as the show me tell me questions. One question will require you to demonstrate or “show” the examiner the answer on the move and the other will just need you to explain the answer to them at the test centre before you begin driving.
Here are the Show me questions. When you are able to use the control safely demonstrate to the examiner that you can use the control.
1) When it's safe to do so can you show me how to wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2) When it's safe to do so can you show me how to wash and clean the front windscreen?
3) When it's safe to do so can you show me how you would switch on your dipped headlights?
4) When its safe to do so can you show me how you would set the rear demister?
5) When it's safe to do so can you show me how to operate the horn?
6) When it's safe to do so can you show me how to demist the front windscreen?
7) When it's safe to do so can you show me how to operate the side window?
Tell me questions and answers
1)Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2)Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working.
Explain that you would operate the headlight switch (turn on ignition if necessary) and that you would walk round vehicle. (As this is a "Tell Me" question, there is no need to physically check the lights.)
3)Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Explain that the tyre pressures can be found in the Manufacturer's guide and you would use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don't forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
4)Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
Explain you would check to make sure there are No cuts and bulges, there should be 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
5)Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Some restraints might not be adjustable.
6)Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7) Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain that with the ignition on you would operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone to help.
8) Tell me how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate.
Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
9) Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them. (No need to exit vehicle, Please don't start the engine.)
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain when you would use your fog lights.
10) Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car
Operate the switch with the igntion on if necessary and check that the main beam warning light is on.
11)Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
12)Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.
13) Tell me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators. You may need to switch ignition on, do not to start engine.
14)Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe checking of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.
Manual and Automatic Driving lessons in;
EX1, EX2, EX3, EX4, EX5, EX6 and EX8
exclusive training for the GREEN light to Drive...